Monday, August 15, 2011

Helping Border's Books Close

Today I made my 4th pilgrimage to Border's Books since they announced that all the stores were closing. This is a bittersweet affair for me. I get a bit emotional every time I go into one of the stores. I grew up with the original Border's in Ann Arbor - back when it was in a small store and sold used and new books. I've watched them grow and change hands several times. I also watched them put some of the other small book stores out of business. I thought I had stopped caring about the corporation Borders. But in fact, I do care.

For my first visit to the sales, I went to the Ann Arbor store just to get through the sadness. Since then I've been visiting my local store.Today was a big, new sale so I arrived there early and shopped for books on the Time 100 list. It took me 2-3 hours.  I am trying to find the thicker books as well as titles I can't get from my local library. At this point, the shelves at Borders' have lost their order and it's not necessarily easy to find the books you want. But I was lucky and came away with 2 bags filled and overflowing.

I'm guessing that the stores will be closed in the next week or so. I've been holding off on the final good-bye to the Ann Arbor store, but I am still missing a few of the Time 100 books, so I it may be time to make the trip. Bittersweet, indeed.


No comments: