Friday, September 16, 2011

Making Peach Pies

Today was peach pie day. I bought a box of about 40 Michigan peaches for $8 at the Ann Arbor farmer's market on Wednesday. They were only slightly bruised but oh, so sweet.

I put a pot of water on the stove to boil while I made pie crust dough from flour, nuts (pistachio and walnut), salt, oil, brown sugar, oatmeal flakes and lemon-water.

When the water was rolling, I put 4-5 peaches in at a time for a minute or two, then dunked them into ice water for a second and set them to drain on the counter before removing their skins. I did this for 18 peaches - 3 pies worth.

The next step was to press the dough into the pie plates. It's a cross between a crumble and pie dough, and presses easily. That done, the crusts went into the fridge to stay cold.

Back to the peaches. Now it's time to slice them and coat them with a little tapioca flour and cinnamon.

Finally, I put the peaches into the pan, added more crumble dough on top and baked them in a 425 degree over for 15 minutes and then for another 40 at 350 degrees.

I had enough dough left for a small tart (cook's tart, I call it), so I peeled one more peach and assembled the tart. It was done in 20 minutes. Mmm!

No comments: