Sunday, December 23, 2007

Making bread on the Solstice

Yesterday we unknowingly celebrated the winter solstice. I spent the day in the kitchen, made several loaves of bread, made a dish or two for our xmas feast and accidently invented a recipe for corn chowder potato quiche. I was trying to make something quite different but was missing a key ingredient. And then in a moment of desparation, I decided to throw corn into the potato crust over the asiago cheese, and then some pimentos. At that point I was sure I'd created a disaster, but then remembered that I was simply making a dry version of my signature soup: corn chowder. So I created the quiche mixture of eggs and cream and added thyme and paprika. Somewhere along the line, I put some torn spinach on top, which kept the dish from burning as it cooked for well over an hour in a 375 degree oven. I through some ocean perch in the oven with a quickly contrived mustard sauce and Peter opened a bottle of "on-sale" wine. Accident upon accident created a succulent meal - and a solstice feast. It wasn't until 3 hours later that we realized that it was the solstice ... I would have purposefully made a feast, had I known. But I doubt that it would have been quite so tasty.

No comments: